Welcome

Welcome

Jumbled Faces



Jumbled Faces, drawing by Ed T. © 2008


This sketchbook entry of mine dates from a few years ago and is from the same book as other recent entries featured here at Modern Art Quotes. Like a lot of artists and people in general, I am sometimes drawn (pun intended) to drawing faces. As humans, face recognition played a vital role in our evolution as a species. Astronomer and author Carl Sagan proposed that humans are hard-wired from infancy to recognize the human face. There is even a technical term for this behavior: Pareidolia.

"Theoretically it should be possible to 'peel' the collective unconscious, layer by layer, until we came to the psychology of the worm, and even of the amoeba" - C.G. Jung, Collected Works.
Aside from the aesthetic fun of drawing faces, this drawing is also playing with that idea of the collective unconscious. I have had dreams before where I suspect that some of the players in the dream are not mere figments of my imagination, but are somehow really there. I am not saying this is a regular occurrence, but it does happen once in a while, which I don't think is unusual for people and their dreams, what do you think? And this might sound crazy to some people, - but I know I have stumbled into my cat's and dog's dreams once in a while on accident - I would never usually dream about chasing rodents, jumping around like an animal, or interacting with large wolf like creatures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work - it is very unique and I think that is what will draw people to it greatly!

P.S. I like the no labels thing too - it is hard sometimes in society when all people seem to want is labels...but one can manage :)

Anonymous said...

Ed,

Cool drawing! And the whole issue of "face recognition" is fascinating. Evolution is a creative and powerful force!

Sharing dreams is a little bit scary - it's challenging enough to share our space consciously with others but to also have them come uninvited into the surreal world of our dreams sounds even more so! I'm going to keep my dreamworld doors locked at night. Anyway, interesting thought you bring up - I wonder if there is any way to test if this is happening?

Ed T. said...

Thanks Evita,
I hope people do and will like my work, it would be nice to make a living off of it... ah dare to dream...lol

Thanks Bob,
You're right dreams are personal, I hardly share any details of my own so I guess I can't ask others too huh?

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post,ed ! I al ways liked(and trusted)Jung more than Freud...andI learn new words -which is great.