Welcome

Welcome

Are quotations Purple? These Ones are in Green

I was just doing some research the other day and came across this quote from Rudyard Kipling. It was a little disheartening to read it, I felt like I was being called out, lol.

He wrapped himself in quotations- as a beggar would enfold himself in the purple of Emperors. - Rudyard Kipling


I am not sure if Kipling's statement is a compliment or a critique. But in reference to my blog here, It may have started out somewhere along those lines. Using quotes as a jumping off point for philosophy and inspiration, and still is somewhat - I guess today's entry is a perfect example. But it has evolved a lot since then. A lot of times I pull the quote myself from my own actual paper (not digital) library to illustrate a specific point I am trying to make, or as an example in the discussion of an artist. This blog is more about the creative process, sharing my own artwork and discussing it, and art history; specifically looking at art's journey from from merely 'reproducing nature' to a much more open-ended and boundless adventure.



Arthur Rackham, from Rudyard Kipling's Puck of Pook Hill,
published by New York, Doubleday, Page and Co. 1906.

This illustration is by that great early 20th century English children's books illustrator Arthur Rackham, from one of Rudyard Kipling's books - Puck of Pook Hill published in 1906. As I've said before I really dig Rackham's style - kind of almost gothic, heavily detailed, an eye for the simple and the extraordinary; his contrast between fantastical and foreboding in his compositions.

No comments: