Welcome

Welcome

Beliefs and Rules

Belgium's famous painter James Ensor (1860 - 1949) was also a printmaker and used many political, literary, historical and social references in his paintings. (Check out the They Might Be Giants Song Meet James Ensor). His work is a bridge between post-impressionism and outright expressionism, really though you can't make a generalization about his style, but don't take my word for this:
"My art tends toward the literary. My pictures tend toward the outskirts of painting: But why generalize? It is possible to realize one thing or another, according to the impressions gained from one point of view or another. But it is too difficult to make a general rule." - James Ensor

What I find particularly interesting is the idea of realizing things about your art according to what he calls impressions, gained from points of view, experiences you've had etc. Of course you can make certain observations about a style and this is necessary to talk about it, but it's not necessary to ultimately label something outright or make solid rules.


James Ensor, The Banquet of the Starved, 1915.

By not making those general rules you maintain a kind of objective open-mindedness, freedom and ingenuity in your work, or at least leave those doors wider open, which I think adds an immense kind of possibility. But if you were to make a general rule, at least in regards not to style but perspective, this would make a good start.....

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
- Buddha

Beliefs are powerful, or can be anyways, of course - right? That's why I like that thought from Buddha so much, because it reminds me to look at everything and merely observe, not to judge but to observe and only make neccessary decisions after careful thought, and let other things roll off of my back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ed T. I enjoy your site (I found it through blogcatalog and yogaforcynics) it's a feast for the eyes and the imagination. I've often believed in exactly what you wrote. . . "it reminds me to look at everything and merely observe, not to judge but to observe and only make neccessary decisions after careful thought. . ." I've thought of it as pragmatic procrastination.

Ed T. said...

Thanks for your compliments Koe, they are very much appreciated..!