Welcome

Welcome

"Paranormal Activity": Paranormally Bad

I recently finally watched the movie Paranormal Activity. I had high hopes for a good creepy movie seeing as how I am still settling into a new house. The buzz around the movie was tremendous when it came out in theaters several months ago. I am an admitted fan of some of those often lame ghost hunting shows on cable television, one of those guilty pleasures I guess you could say.

What I saw with Paranormal Activity was Blair Witch Project - the crappy indoor version. The fact that they made an insane amount of money from two goofy kids and a camcorder kind of blows my mind though, if anything is scary it's that. If you haven't seen it yet I would not waste your time, unless you're looking for one of those Mystery Science Theater 3000 - 'make fun of the movie' type things, in which case it's great.

Last year in theaters I saw the movie A Haunting in Connecticut. Another ghostly movie but this one is supposedly based on a true story. The research doesn't pan out though with the story - the author of the book admits he made up a lot of it and the owner of the house (which was a rental) doesn't back up any of it. Yes maybe a family had some weird experiences in a house but nothing to the extreme of what happened in the movie obviously.

But at least with A Haunting in Connecticut you have a decent cast (Kyle Gallner I thought was very good as the boy at the center of the hauntings) an actual story, atmosphere, mystery and entertainment. Paranormal Activity is just a waste of time, one of those movies where you really hate the fact that you're just sitting there watching it, unsure wether you should continue.

   
            

No comments: