Welcome

Welcome

Scorsese Delivers a Masterpiece with "Shutter Island"

The recent DVD release of Shutter Island  reminded me of just how much I enjoyed this movie. I was really surprised at how it grabbed my attention immediately and never let go. Part mystery, part suspense, part detective-movie, part mind-bending thriller; - it entertained me more than I have been by a movie in a long time. Before I watched it I read some people's reviews of Shutter Island around the web and reviews by the mainstream critics; from what I could tell it got somewhat of a mixed result, ending on the positive side. I though, was honestly blown away - fantastic movie. I was really drawn into it, which was great because I was on a very long and very noisy flight, so this was a great distraction.


Warning, spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen it yet, I am pretty much just going to skip to my thoughts about the twist ending of the movie.



The Twist at the end of the movie was genius in my opinion. And once you realize that the entire movie Teddy is really Edward Laeddis the whole thing makes total sense, like you're given the key to a giant puzzle/mousetrap. I mean of course you want "Teddy", as the presented hero, to emerge victorious somehow, but I think in a way he does (well aside from the tragic end where the doctor, right before the lobotomy, realized Edward is lucid and just wants the orbiting cycle of his memory/reality to end). It's like he's coming down from a really intense bad acid trip and slowly realizes what real reality is and what has been going on for God knows how long, but this is not the first time he's 'come down' to reality. (In a way that is exactly what's happening because they kept him on anti-pyschotic medication for so long). 


For me the ending and the entire movie make total sense and the puzzle that was weaved throughout the film was pretty masterful. I have no clue why so many critics are quick to bash this movie. Coming from a self-appointed culture cynic, It's a five out five star movie. The storyline, the creepy old and somehow very American gothic lunatic asylum, the storm,  the entire dark, luminous, and mysterious feel of the scenery. Going back through and rethinking the scenes from the perspective that everyone else on the island is in on the ploy to get through to Edward, makes for some interesting thought, a great thought-provoking movie, and a reason to watch it again. A triumph of a work for DiCaprio and Scorcese.

2 comments:

sheila king said...

Except it's DiCaprio, not DeCaprio. I, too, feel this is clearly a case of misunderstood masterpiece, also needlessly trod upon by critics who clearly should know better but seemed intent on getting one in on Scorsese (and his supporters) for winning an Oscar a couple years back for The Departed, a lesser film, in my opinion. It's a fantastic movie that only gets better on subsequent viewings.

Ed T. said...

Thanks for reading Sheila, and for catching my mistake. We agree that a fantastic movie got hosed by some ego-driven critiques.