Welcome

Welcome

Artist Cristina Clarimon from Madrid, Spain


"Fledgling" by Cristina Clarimon © 2009

To me, artist Cristina Clarimon's work combines classic modern styles of drawing, painting, collage, and printmaking with a truly unique voice and aesthetic. In this digital age I still find myself being drawn to work like this; uniquely textured and well-thought out designs done by hand. Her work has an ephemeral dream-like quality that draws your attention into the work and keeps it there for a long time, and that is one key element of any great artwork.



"Daytime Star" by Cristina Clarimon © 2009

From the words of the artist herself:

"My work has no single influence. I like simple, well edited final images. I borrow from dreams, memories, folk tales and found images that capture my attention. Thematically, there are a few elements that my pieces seem to have in common...Empty landscapes, houses, fire, people (mostly by themselves)...I try to achieve a sense of melancholy, of past events that are now mere recollections...Places that were and people we knew..."
-Cristina Clarimon


"Untitled-3" by Cristina Clarimon © 2009

I really like the aqua-blue color with the bright red in the two paintings shown above, and at the top. They both have that element of almost telling a story but being mysterious and unanswered at the same time. The layered, carefully textured work, gives this viewer a kind of haunted feeling that is quite interesting. We thank Mrs. Clarimon for sharing her work and her words with us here at Modern Art Quotes.

No comments: